5 HP merc 2 stroke

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retiredff

Reaction score
I found a 13' Lund boat w/merc 5 HP. The boat has some problems (no leaks), needs rewired (grounded to boat), 2 seats should be removed. My main concern is the 5 HP motor. Is this enough to get on plane w/2 adults? Should I keep looking for a 9.9 motor and a 12-14'? The current owner said the boat runs fine but is no speed demon...

Thanks

Tony

I would keep looking for a 9.9.
The merc 5 might plane one person if the person is not to heavy.
You would be much happier with a 9.9.

Henry

Thanks Henry, as I have never owned a boat and from what I have read here, I assumed that would be the case but wanted to be sure. I did not want to buy this boat, then not be happy with the performance and then try to sell the 5 and buy a 9.9.

Tony

I've used our 5.5 johnson on one of the earlier 12' jon boats and it would not plane the boat. But the way I looked at it, it still pushed by a lot faster then trolling motor. I still use the 5.5johnson on the 16' jon when going to the restricted lakes it may only plow me threw the water but its till faster then the trolling motor. The 9.9 would be the way to go if your transom will handle the 9.9. The 16' jon i've got has a wood deck and my 9.9 evinrude will get it to a plane with one person in it.

thanks for the first hand info po1. That is just what I needed.

I think I am going to pass on this boat.

Tony

Latest posts