25hp Mercury Starter Problems

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinCan2

Reaction score
Looking for some help. Just obtained a 1989 25hp Mercury, sometimes the starter works, sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't work there is no click or any noise. Can spin the gear where it meets the flywheel and it will work. Next time same problem, might/might not work. Starter looks new, brushes look about 95%. I cleaned the armature and brushes but can't fix the problem. Anyone here have any suggestions? Do I just need to buy a new starter?

Make sure it isn't the starter relay.When starter doesn't work check to see if starter is getting 12 v.Have the windings checked.

I'll do a little research this weekend and do you suggestions. Thanks for the help, I'm a newbie on two stroke engines. Thanks for the schooling.

Starter relay seams to be the problem. 13.1 volts on the battery side of the relay, nothing on the starter side when start button is engaged.
Thanks for the information.

TinCan2 said:
Starter relay seams to be the problem. 13.1 volts on the battery side of the relay, nothing on the starter side when start button is engaged.
Thanks for the information.

You may want to check that starter switch & associated wiring too.........

:beer:

Latest posts