25hp Seahorse wont Plane 2 people UPDATED 7/19/2010

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troutman3000

Reaction score
Ran my motor yesterday and it would only plane with one person. This is disappointing because I go with my buddy all the time. I added these planner boards do you think they are slowing us down? Are these older motors just underpowered? My evinrude would plane 2 out at 23mph. 28mph if I was by myself.

THanks,

Jason

Attachments

• 103_1199.JPG
    103_1199.JPG
    726.8 KB · Views: 1,199
Somethings up.
Probably should plane your boat but not knowing your boat size,shape,etc.hard to say for sure.
Long shaft on short transom,to much weight up front?
Motor have good compression,right prop,firing on both cyclinders?
Need alitle more info.

Zum said:
Long shaft on short transom
I know pictures can be deceiving, but it sure looks like this might be the case. Can you get some more pics and definately need more info.

Its is no doubt a 20" transom guys.

Its a 14' tracker superguide v-hull. I had myself (190) and my buddy that weighs 185 with me yesterday. With us and all our gear, including 20 gallon bait tank we couldnt plane. Without the bait tank and just my buddy we couldnt plane. With just me it finally planed out and ran pretty well. Which is why I asked the questions, my old early eighties rude would plane us out no problem.

Here are some pictures of the boat so yall believe me.

Attachments

• 103_1195.JPG
    103_1195.JPG
    720.8 KB · Views: 1,185
Troutman3000 said:
Maybe it is the prop? Im not sure? It shouldnt have trouble planing this boat. It just had a tune up and runs well at WOT.

You need to find out how many RPMs you're running with one and two people.

The two motors are only 5 years apart. Both are still pin drive, so there shouldn't be a difference there. Both are from before the crank to prop hp change, so there shouldn't be a change there.

Do you still have the prop from the Evinrude? Ideally you would use a tach to determine the proper prop, but seeing as you were happy with the performance of the Evinrude, try swapping props, and see if that improves anything.

Couple of issues I can see. #1, motor is about running about 5" to deep ( from the picture). 2#, Doel fin/Stingray is placed wrong on the cavitation plate, should be placed much farther back on the trailing edge. I bet that position causes lots of drag. One question. Is the tiller difficult to turn @ speed?

bassboy1 said:
The two motors are only 5 years apart. Both are still pin drive, so there shouldn't be a difference there. Both are from before the crank to prop hp change, so there shouldn't be a change there.

Do you still have the prop from the Evinrude? Ideally you would use a tach to determine the proper prop, but seeing as you were happy with the performance of the Evinrude, try swapping props, and see if that improves anything.

The drives are a little different so I cannot use the same prop. The prop on the evinrude are much wider at its base and wouldnt fit.

Maybe when they moved to a different drive type.

whitedog59 said:
Couple of issues I can see. #1, motor is about running about 5" to deep ( from the picture). 2#, Doel fin/Stingray is placed wrong on the cavitation plate, should be placed much farther back on the trailing edge. I bet that position causes lots of drag. One question. Is the tiller difficult to turn @ speed?

The fastet speed I could get was 12mph with 2 people and my gps ran out of juice when I was by myself. I would assume I was running closer to 20mph or so. The tiller wasnt that hard to turn.

I took off the planner boards and raised the tilt so the cavitron plate lines up perfectly with the bottom of the boat.

Guess I will give it a try tomorrow morning and see what happens.

Troutman3000 said:
bassboy1 said:

The drives are a little different so I cannot use the same prop. The prop on the evinrude are much wider at its base and wouldnt fit.

What year was the 'Rude? I thought it was an '81.

bassboy1 said:
Troutman3000 said:
bassboy1 said:

What year was the 'Rude? I thought it was an '81.

Im not sure of the year because I cant find a serial number on the motor. I was told that it was early 80's.

But yeah the drive shafts are different. The 76 has the pin drive and the rude has the splene (sp) drive I believe.