78 Merc 402 -not tiller- cutting out at wot

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DILLEYO

Reaction score
I bought this motor used a few years ago and last fall it started acting up. At full throttle, it would go fine for a few minutes, but then would cut out like I let off the throttle. I also couldn't idle low without it cutting out completely. First thing I thought was a dirty carb, so I bought a carb kit and put that in, cleaned the carb and it seemed to help a little bit, but was still acting up. I changed the spark plugs and that made it a little better yet amd I could cruise at lower speeds. I started modding my boat this spring and am almost finished and ready to put the motor back on and noticed that the negative battery wire coming from the harness has some of the outer covering missing and the wires inside look a little corroded, but not cut. The positive wire looks a little weathered as well, but no cracks or nicks in it. Could this be my issue with the motor? The battery cables look to be molded into the plug that goes directly to the motor, so there is no just replacing the individual wires. Can I cut the wires up higher (under the rubber coating for the whole harness) where the wires still look new on the outside and solder new ones to the existing? I know the easiest thing would be to get a new harness, but I don't have money for a new one. Thanks in advance.

Latest posts