Free 1975 Johnson 6 hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandgeek1263

Reaction score
Well, I have this motor, and it was free. It runs, but is hard to start. It requires at least 5 pulls to get it running. I updated the fuel line and tank, and adjusted the carb. The problem is, the yolk that holds the actual motor to the transom bracket is bent; and the fact that the motor is a longshaft. Now, I could probably order a replacement part, but is it worth the money to? Should I just flip the motor, or possibly trade it for a larger motor? I don't think it will get me on plane with the 5/8 ply I'm using. I think, that because the motor is a longshaft and I need a short shaft, that I should see about trading it in. Anyway, here's a picture.
johnson 6.jpg

First off, i am going to say the long shaft is too long for your boat, the cavitation plate should be just at the bottom of the boat. Secondly the bend in the clamp is where i see it. Let me get to the garage tonight, I might have a parts motor for ya.
Do you know how it got bent/.? know any history?

I have no idea about the history. Next time I see the guy (thursday) I will ask him about it. My theory is that itwas on a sail boat as a kicker and was forgotten about when mooring while another boat/dock hit it. I don't know. But please, that would be awesome! How much would you want for the part, if you have it?

Was wondering if you still had that motor? I have the exact one and im needing a transom bracket for mine. Interested in selling?

If AJ has a parts motor for you I would definitely keep it. They are great runners when properly tuned. If his parts motor is a short shaft and has a good lower unit then all you have to do is pull the powerhead and swap to the other midsection. Requires a single gasket and about an hour of your time.