1988 Johnson 25 HP QUESTION????????

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarshGrass

Reaction score
Just picked up a used Johnson 25 HP Motor ...2 cycle.......(my first motor) and wanted to know if it was nomal for the motor to sway back and forth. Heres what i mean: if the boat is in the water and i turn the hand controlls to the right, the boat will turn.....but if i let go of the hand control the motor swings back to the straight position. My dad has the same motor but in a 15hp and i can move the control stick to the left and turn the boat, take my hand OFF the controlls all together, and the boat stays on a turning coarse because the motors stays in the position i left it. Hope this makes sense....is there some sort of bolt i can tighten to keep the motor from wondering so much?

Its actually supposed to pivot there, it sounds like it is working like it should be. Some older motor get gunk in there and that causes friction that keeps the motor in the same place. I dont know of any screw to tighten, its not like a trolling motor.

Yes there is a pivot adjustment.Look where it pivots & there will be a bolt (maybe sloted or hex) that you tighten.
On my 1976 Evinrude you have to have motor off to see screw.I took a pic.The screw is with the spring on it in middle of pic.

Attachments

• misc pics 007.jpg
    misc pics 007.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 462
crazymanme2 said:
Yes there is a pivot adjustment.Look where it pivots & there will be a bolt (maybe sloted or hex) that you tighten.
On my 1976 Evinrude you have to have motor off to see screw.I took a pic.The screw is with the spring on it in middle of pic.

Learn something every day, if anyone knows his motors its Crazymanme2.

Latest posts