question about motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeathTaco

Reaction score
Currently have a non functioning 1950s johnson seahorse. Just wondering if it would be cheaper to take to marine repair place and get fixed, or should i just get rid of it and try to get a new motor/used motor. The concern i have about a used motor is that I dont want to get out on the lake or bay and not get it to start. Just looking for some opinions and advice on what others have done to get a motor. That is the only part needed to get the boat in water. Kinda a big part, i know.

there was just a thread about new versus old /used outboard \IMO the problem with an old used motor is at what point is it worth the repair costs. unless you are a mechanic and can fix them yourself you are at the mercy of the repair shop that gets about $100 an hour for labor
Just remember the old saying BUYER BE WARE.. when ever you buy used.. I am sure that others will give the opposite view on this

I'm kind of facing this question myself. My fishing boat had a new motor so that was that. The runabout I am working on has a '64 18hp Johnson that I am going to get back in good shape. My idea is to do most of the work myself and then take to a mechanic to have the carb adjusted properly. I don't particularly like to work on engines/motors but at $100/hr it's time to learn. Just recently Baitcaster took a motor in and ended up with a bill somewhere around $900. Gulp... Here's a link to that recent thread.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14525

The question is far to broad to give a definitive answer. Without knowing the problem with it, we can't determine how much it will cost.

If it is nonfunctioning due to just having sat a few years, chances are it won't need but a small handful of simple things to be running well, and reliably. If you are at all mechanically inclined, it would be a no brainer, as the parts are cheap, and with a couple hours work, you could have it running reliably.

If it needs a full rebuild, may as well start over.

The problem is going to be finding the right guy to do the work. Most big marinas won't touch it, as at 80 an hour, the repair bill often becomes more than the motor is worth, and the customer then decides to just not pick it up, sticking them with a repair bill. Plus, even if they would touch it, if your marina's/boat dealers are anything like what we have here, I wouldn't let them touch it. Your best bet would be to find the right shadetree mechanic (honest, reliable ones do exist, and I would let one of them touch my engine before the marina does). Someone who works on outboards as a hobby, and working out of his garage will probably do just as good, if not better job than the marina, and likely charge a lot less to do it.

Then it comes down to, what is the motor worth? Technically, it is only worth what the guy with the cash is willing to pay for it. So, you could say, I could sell the motor, after it's running, for 250, in running shape, but it will cost 300 to fix (and I'm pulling these numbers out of my butt, they mean nothing), so it must not be worth it. And, if you were looking to resell the motor, you would be exactly right.

But, let's look at it the other way. If you aren't trying to sell it, what is it's usable worth? Take a look at a brand new motor. The very SECOND you buy it, it looses a large portion of it's value, and suddenly, you've paid more for the motor than you can get for it. So, you look at it like this. Well, it'll cost me 300 to fix, and I could only sell it for 250, but lets see what my 300 would buy me otherwise. If that 300 can buy you a better motor, then it isn't worth it, but if you'd have to add some more cash to said 300, then it may very well be worth it.

And, don't forget to think about the fact that the 300 puts NEW parts on the motor, whereas buying a different used one still has old parts. Goes back to the new motor issue. You pay a bit more for a new motor (new parts), as opposed to a running used motor (used parts), but for a reason.

Now, whenever I mention the value in buying an older motor, I rarely intend for someone to buy it, and immediately put it into service. That is how you get stranded on the water, because there is no way of knowing what has been done to the motor in the past. I, instead, mean to buy an old motor, spruce it up (rebuild carb, new impeller, new plugs, new points and condensers, as well as a good going over). Doesn't cost that much, and you have a motor that is just as reliable as a brand new one, for a fraction of the cost. So consider it that way - you have 300 in a motor that is functionally in real good shape, or you can pay 250, and still need to do a bunch of things to it to get it in good shape. I'll just say that I don't EVER look at buying an older motor without planning on doing the above to it first. THAT, is how you get reliable, older motors, for the fraction of the cost of new.

Old motors don't just leave you stranded on the water because they are old. Instead, they leave you stranded because they weren't cared for. Care for them, and replace things that likely weren't cared for, and you won't be left stranded.

I agree 99.9% with bassboy,, my only issue is that you say as soon as you buy a new motor it looses value.
that is true but remember you are not buying it to resell it for a profit. you are only looking for a quality motor that will last you for many years if taken care of.
with a new motor you get a warranty, on my motor the warranty was 9 years it woulds cost extra to get one for that long but mine was thrown in in the purchase of my boat. I know exactly how my motor has been broken in and the maintenance that has been done on it.

Would like a little more information than just a '50s motor........... Can answer your question in at least one respect though. If it is a 50s Johnson or Evinrude I can tell you that they are just about bulletproof in their reliability. If what you have is a good base engine, having good compression and all the parts are there then you would have a good starting point. I bring several of these engines back into useful service life every year and the cost of bringing them back added to the initial cost of the engine (which is usually very low to reasonable) makes them a very viable alternative to the cost of new, if and only if, you can do the work yourself or at least most of the work. These engines are workhorses in general, with almost no plastic parts on them. One thing you can do if you are unsure about what you have or you are unsure about doing the work yourself is to go to AOMCI.org and enter the Ask-A-Member section and see if there is anyone near where you live that may be able to lend a hand in getting your engine back into service. They are an extremely friendly bunch and love to get these old engines back in shape. The service parts you should expect to replace would include points, plugs, coils, condensers, water pump kit or impeller, carb kit if necessary, and gearcase re-seal. When an engine is brought back with these parts and run on the proper fuel/oil ratio I know that the engine can be run as hard and long as desired (add a little common sense in there).

redbug said:
I agree 99.9% with bassboy,, my only issue is that you say as soon as you buy a new motor it looses value.
that is true but remember you are not buying it to resell it for a profit. you are only looking for a quality motor that will last you for many years if taken care of.
Right, that was kind of the point I was trying to make, but I didn't say it clearly. In essence, you don't mind paying more than you can get for it, because you are getting a quality item that will last for years, and aren't trying to sell it. Same goes for putting new parts on an old engine. You shouldn't mind spending more over an equivalent used motor in "running condition," as you are getting brand new parts, that you know were taken care of, and will last for many years.

I was trying to use the new motor as an analogy, but didn't really finish the thought the first time. #-o

My motor is a 1958 Evinrude. I bought it for $150. it looked real pretty all repainted and lots of work done to it, but I knew I was buying it "as is". I took it into a marine mechanic and it cost $944 by the tine I got it back. The upside is that I have a great looking vintage motor that now runs like a top and I am really happy with it. I am not unhappy about the money I spent because I love the motor. For the approximately $1,100 I paid I could have got a newer motor (not brand new) but it might still need some work. My advice is, if you love that old motor (they don't make them like that anymore) invest the money.

Well the motor was not exactly taken care of at all... It sat out in the elements for about 20 years and somewhere in that time frame, someone thought it was a good idea to pull the plugs out of the head. So when i pulled it off i was welcomed to the sight of about half a cup of dirt and a beetle. After blowing all that out, got to see that the piston was rusted solid to the cylinder. So it more than likely will need a complete rebuild...which from what i've heard will be about 1000. Let me know if that sounds reasonable.

But from what i've gathered about reading ya'lls posts, if i buy a used motor, i should plan on investing about 300 in new parts just to make sure they are good. So depending on which motor I found, it may be more cost effective to repair the one i have.

Thanks for all of the input. I really want to get it out on the water, but i don't want to get screwed on a motor...i'm kinda in the dark, but thanks to you guys i see a faint glimmer of light.

Latest posts