Conversion from 20HP to 25HP

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulletpusher

Reaction score
I picked up a low hours 1977 Suzuki DT-20, and while doing some parts research I found out that it's the same motor for the 20, 25, and 28 HP motors, just a couple different parts. Namely the carburetor. I found a guy that has the carb for a 25 HP motor. My question is; What else would be needed to make the change? Or is this just like putting a new 4 barrel carb on an old 2 barrel V8? Cheap and easy horsepower.

Not too many people know a whole lot about those old Suzuki's so your going to have a difficult time getting any information about the swap. If it's like an OMC motor then I think the only difference between the 20-25 was the carb and the throat on the intake manifold was larger on the 25. Guys just file the intake hole out to match the size of the carb.

I would buy the carb if it was cheap enough and give it a shot. If the intake needs filing and you can't find a gasket then you can make one out of gasket maker material from any auto parts store.

bulletpusher said:
I'm not really asking about this engine specifically, but more along the lines of making more HP out of any outboard.

From what I understand you will pick up a little more low end power and maybe a couple mph's.

Latest posts