ss props on small motor?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crankworm

Reaction score
I just became aware of the fact that I could buy a stainless steel prop for my 15 horse johnson. Does anyone have any experience with these on a motor that small? I know the performance gains on larger motors but not sure about it on a 15. Right now I have a 9x11 aluminum on it and run 25-26mph on the gps with me and my fishing gear. Not sure I need to go faster in a 14' boat but it would look cool to have the shiny blades hanging off the back.

Sounds like a bit of a waste, unless you really need a new prop. Might look cool (or stupid) depending on the person, but I doubt performance gains would be worthwhile.

I took a wire wheel to my prop because the paint was chipping off in some spots. Have actually had a few people ask me about my "stainless prop." :wink:

I have a stainless on my 15 Evinrude.I sharpened the blades a bit so I can fly through the weeds.We have some big weed beds where I go fishing & for me a stainless is the only way to go.I bought mine pretty cheap & used.I believe I only see speeds of about 25 to 26 mph with it.
A stainless prop can run more cup in the blade which lets you run your motor higher out of the water which means you can run in shallower water also.

Latest posts