will not idle

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mean16

Reaction score
up until this weekend my 7.5 merc idled just fine and now it will constantly die at low rpm. i have adjusted the screw and it did not help it at all, so what next? can i run seafoam through it?

crazymanme2 said:
Try pumping the primer bulb to make sure the fuel pump isn't starting to go.Have you looked at your plugs?

While pumping the primer bulb watch for leaks also. Make sure you don't have leaks at the connectors. The bulb should stay firm after pumping it. Try pumping the bulb while the motor is running to see if it will idle while pumping the bulb.

when i pump the bulb too much it starts dripping out of the carb. also it does not have a connector at the motor for the fuel line, hose is pushed over the nipple and clamped down. runs good with throtle though. will try all of the ideas but it will be the weekend before i can hit the water. thanks again folks!!

You are having carb issues if fuel starts running out from pumping the bulb. Sounds like the float / float valve may need some attention.

sounds like you have some trash in the jet and or your float/needle are taking a dump

go ahead and get a carb rebuild kit. they're cheap

If fuel is running out of the carb when you pump the bulb, I would think that the needle valve is not sealing like it should. There is a float inside the carb and when it rises due to the float bowl filling up with fuel the needle valve should seal off. It may not be sealing off if there is a piece of debris in there.