Need Outboard Repair Help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flatsdaddy

Reaction score
This is the greatest site ever! I have been lurking for a while and finally decided to register.

I thought I would save a few bucks and install a water pump and seal kit on my 1970 Evinrude 18 hp Fastwin in preparation for alligator season. When I pulled the lower unit, the drive shaft did not come out with it but stayed in the top part. Am I hosed?

Any help would be appreciated.

I have a 15hp evinrude and just changed my water pump about a hour ago.. Once I had the lower unit off if I put it in neutral I could lift up the drive shaft. I assume you were also in neutral and if the engine was running fine before hand I assume you could just wiggle it out? I'm no expert by any means but it doesnt sound to bad unless it is fused in there ...

I am afraid that might be the problem. I had read somewhere else that could happen. Should it (the driveshaft) slide out of the lower unit also? I just asssumed that it was fixed in there somehow so that when you took the lower unit off the driveshaft came out with it.

I am in agreement with Crazymanme2 you will probably need to pull the powerhead. It is not that big a job should not take but 20 to 30 minutes. A couple of the bolts up front are hard to get to, you would want to replace the exhaust gaskets between the powerhead and the mid section. The other option is turn it upside down and try to get some penetrating oil down in there for a day or 2 and then try to pull it out. Have never had one pull out of the lower unit so I am not sure if that is a problem or not. I think I may have read that it is not a issue. Get it out of the powerhead and by then some one will have chimed in on what to do about putting it back in the lower unit. iboats.net is also a good forum for outboard help.

Good Luck
Flintcreek

I have had it soaking and it still won't pull out. I took it to a mechanic today, hopefully he can get it out. I think I have officially exceeded my skill level.

Thanks for the advice.

The mechanic called today and said my motor was fixed. He was able to get the drive shaft out and greased it so it should come out next time. He also installed the new seals and water pump kit.

I was pricing motors and am glad that my old one is going to work for a while longer. Thanks for the tips.

Latest posts