Finally got out on the water today !!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jovush

Reaction score
Finally got my project on the water today. 1966 20 horse Johnson on a 14 foot v-bottom. Thanks to all here that helped with input and suggestions, couldn't have done it without. I replaced impeller, rebuilt carb, new plugs and lube lower unit. Just wanted to get her in the water to see how well she would run. Started with a few pulls, idle not set perfect but idled out beyond no wake zone and opened her up. Boat planed quickly and ran great, didn't make my eyes water but I think maybe close to 20 mph. Ran so good I couldn't stop, went about 8-9 miles, fished a little, and headed back with a smile. With the ramp in sight motor started to sputter.....glad I didn't go 12 miles.....reached down and noticed my little 3 gallon tank empty. I pumped the bulb a few and limped in. I figure my 20 horse makes about 6 mile per gallon at WOT , is that normal? Thanks again everyone. I know how nice pictures are when included and promise to add them as my project continues.

PS.....as I was launching boat another guy backed down the ramp with a similar boat and said "another guy not too proud to run an old boat" referring to my jewel. I felt compelled to correct him by saying, "may be old but I'm very proud!"

Jovush said:
Ran so good I couldn't stop, went about 8-9 miles, fished a little, and headed back with a smile. With the ramp in sight motor started to sputter.....glad I didn't go 12 miles.....reached down and noticed my little 3 gallon tank empty. I pumped the bulb a few and limped in. I figure my 20 horse makes about 6 mile per gallon at WOT , is that normal?

A general rule of thumb regarding outboard motors and fuel consumption.

fuel consumed WOT per 1hp is 0.1 gallon of gas/per hr

20hp X 0.1 gallon fuel = 2.0 gallons/hr at WOT (You can't compare to efficiency to cars or land vehicles)

Now this a general rule of thumb. As you use your motor and boat will get a better feel for your motors fuel consumption. Naturally older make motors tend to be a little thirstier.

I would get a get a 6gallon tank for your 20hp. I'm glad she gave you a good time. :)