getting my 1977 Johnson 25hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AaronR

Reaction score
I'm a new member here, it seems like a really great site so I decided I would join up and jump right in.

I have a 14' Lowe V I am going to be putting on my lift on the lake and I want to get the motor running good first off.

When I used it last about a year ago I had ran it out of gas and it stopped running correctly after that. I checked the compression and it was ~130psi on both cylinders. I had a parts motor that I bought and was told it was in good running shape minus the lower unit, I didn't start it, I mostly just swapped carbs and was hoping running the fuel out in my old metal tank had just clogged the carb. I still havent been able to try to start the motor with the new carb because it is in storage two hours away.

My main question is what should I do before I start it the first time?

If it is something more than what I can easily do from my boat dock, approximately what would it cost me to have a marina get it ready? Right now I don't have a garage locally or a place to work on the boat, other than the boat lift.

Thanks for the replies!

AaronR

You have good compression. Now you need to check for spark. Pull the plug wires one at a time and hold it near the block and have someone pull the rope. If you have good spark spray some gas oil mix in the carb and see if the motor will pop.

I should have added that, it has spark also.

Since I've owned the motor it has always produced a spray or water out of the back but never really a stream like our newer 70hp evinrude. Should this motor also produce a solid stream or is a spray of water alright too? it never seemed to overheat.

Sitting for a year like it has should the water pump be changed or can I put it in the water and try it out first?

Tomorrow or Wednesday I'm going to make the trip to pick the boat and motor up, lots of work planned, repacking the wheel bearings on the trailer, finishing up the carpet on the new bunks on the trailer, putting the boat on the trailer and the motor on the boat. Then making the two hour drive back home to try to put the boat in the water.

If its not over heating then don't worry about it. The impeller will be fine to test it out but you might want to get one down the road.
When you go to start it make sure the bulb gets hard, turn the throttle handle down until it stops (usually a 1/4"-1/2" past the start mark while the motor is in neutral) , choke it, and pull away.
Take a spray bottle or squirt gun with fuel mix in it and spray it in the carb just in case it doesn't go after the 10th pull or so.
All you can do is take it out and see what happens then report back.
I wouldn't blindly take it to a shop and tell them to get r going because it might cost you more then the thing is worth.

I got the boat on the trailer and the motor on the boat today but I ran out of time and wasn't able to try to get it started. I put the fuel line on and pulled it about 3 times and ran out of time. Maybe I'll have better luck finishing it on my next day off..

Also, If I go ahead and buy a small trolling motor would it be possible to use it to go the 4.5 miles from my local ramp to my boat slip at my house? How many batteries will I need? LOL

Latest posts