oil leaking

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waterboy

Reaction score
It is a 1985 Evinrude 30 hp. I ran it on the hose for about 10 mins and after I was done, about 15 min later, this oil started to come out from where the prop meets the lower unit. How bad is this? Is there a seal between there somewhere that needs replacing? :(

Edit: I called a local dealer and he said it is normal that unburned oil/gas will drain out the exhaust causing the "leakage". :shock:

Attachments

• oilleak.jpg
    oilleak.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 529
  • diagram.jpg
    diagram.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 523
Wow.. That looks like a lot of oil for only running for 10 mins.. I would also think that anything leaking out of the exhaust would drip from the outside of the prop, not from the hub?
It almost looks like older lower unit oil dripping, maybe a seal let go. If it has been sitting for a wile seals seem to dry out...

Won't hurt to check, like mentioned above, but I'm betting that is just unburned oil/carbon, etc that gets forced out the exhaust. Generally, this happens while the motor is at idle, hence why none shows up after a long run, but instead shows up after spending a bit of time idling.

Yeah, I've had the motor on a hose 6 times so far and the 1st 4 times for only 3 min each time with no motor kill and no leakage. The last 2 times was for about 10 mins and each time the motor died so I restarted it and also " played" with the fast idle lever too and wind up with the leakage. So I guess as long as the motor doesn't idle too long and die, we shouldn't have this mess, I hope!
Will check L/U oil level. Also, the leakage has a fuel smell to it pointing to an unburned origin.

Latest posts