A question of speed and power

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12_Tinner

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am still new to the forum and am finally getting the time to work on my boat this fall to next spring. I have lot's of plans for it but most importantly I'm concerned about power. For the last 2 summers my boat moved along my trolling motor only and I am finally sick of it haha.

The boat is a older 12' Aluminum and it has 2 added seats in it. As of now it looks the same as in the photograph however I have paid to have it professionally painted black on the outside and white on the inside, it's going to look like a brand new boat hehehe

EDIT*
Ok guys well I have been looking into some 9.9hp motors that are in my price range. The new motor will be a 4 stroke around 80ish pounds.

With just myself along how fast in MPH will my boat go approximately. I'm thinking 20mph maybe more not sure. Never owned a outboard.

What do you all think? How about with two people too? The outboard I'm now considering very strongly is a Nissan 9.8 to be specific...they look awesome

All insight welcome here guys!

Thanks,
Mike

ScreenHunter_03Mar082125.jpg

The 6 should make you move better than a trolling motor. I ran a 4 horse on a similar boat for years, and with 2 people, a powerdrive trolling motor on the bow (not the lightest) with just one deep cycle battery, we still would see 4 - 5 mph. Get your batteries placed right, and the 6 might just get you on plane when you're riding solo. If it does, I don't see 8 - 9 mph as too hard to achieve.

Hmm, sounds good to me. I'll be adding all those additives to the gas to keep the engine running at peak performance also. The battery I'll most likely place in the middle of the boat or beside me on the bench. Not to concerned about it really but it is nice to hear that I should be able to get a little speed out of it. Being said with 2 grand cash saved up I might buy a used or barely used outboard in the similar year class. It's just my lack of knowledge of outboards and engines in general :p

Thanks for the reply

If your going to go with the 8hp merc then you might as well go with the 9.8 tohatsu from onlineoutboards.com.Tohatsu makes mercs motors up to the 30hp efi.So you would be better off getting a 9.8 tohatsu as it would be cheaper then a 8hp merc and you will get a touch more power and top end.The only difference between the merc and tohatsu is the decals and a few other features like having a shifter instead of it being built into the handle,other then that they are pretty close except price.

I have had tohatsu's almost all my life and they are built like tanks,also the 9.8 and the 8hp weigh the same so you would not gain any weight.I know a 6hp would move you but i think you would crave for more power in a hurry so you can't go wrong with a 9.8,just my opinion.You will move pretty good also with the 9.8 probally if i had to guess around 15 to 18mph maybe better who knows.Well if you need more help post some questions up and maybe we can help more.

I have a 5.5hp on my 12 foot boat and it will reach 5.8mph for me solo, 5.5 with two people and 5.3 with three people.

I recommend you go for the 9.8 Nissan or Tohatsu. I have a 9.9 Johnson and on the 12' boat it will do 16mph.

Older 2 strokes are actually quite a bit lighter than the new 4 strokes, if weight is your main concern. My 18hp two-stroke only weighs 80 lbs.

I made a edit to the thread guys. Now looking into a 9.8hp Nissan 4-Stroke. Looking to hear a good estimate on speed. Boat weighs around 300lbs I would guess...What is the speed range I should be looking at with a 9.9

Cheers,
Mike

if your looking for speed, get yourself a 2 stroke.... the 9.8 are nice motors.... but keep your eyes open this winter... lots of deals WILL pop up... you just got to be ready for them....

A 12 by 42 weighs about 200 lbs. With a 5.5 you get about 6mph, with a 9.9 you can get 18 if you can keep the bow in the water.

captdan said:
if your looking for speed, get yourself a 2 stroke.... the 9.8 are nice motors.... but keep your eyes open this winter... lots of deals WILL pop up... you just got to be ready for them....

ditto.

Fact is that you can have about double the horsepower you are looking at for the same weight. Your 9.9 4-stroke at 80# or an older Johnson/Evinrude 15hp 2-stroke at 75# (give or take a pound) which is a rocket. The 18hp mentioned earlier would be the same deal. Start searching on the forum and doing some reading....sounds like you are trying to talk yourself into that engine and looking for support.

Latest posts