trouble shooting question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robinpa

Reaction score
I have a mercury 9.9 (4stroke) went to start it , it would start then quit finally it started and i kept pushing the prime bulb . it run fine as soon as i give it some throttle , after fishing i started it and started back to the dock and it shut off and wouldnt restart. After i got home i noticed there is a lot of pressure built up in the tank is this normal.

crazymanme2 said:
I would think that there is little or no presure normaly in the tank.

Thanks , i thought there was excessive pressure build up in the tank and thought possibly this couuld be the reason it seems to be running out of gas. Suppose i will have to take it back to the lake and see if that is the problem. Any more thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Just checked it was just about closed tite , i am new at this so i hope that was the problem , will get it back in the water as soon as the weather gets a little better.

was there pressure in the tank or was it pulling a vacuum?

Pressure would cause it to flood where vacuum would cause it to starve.

Regardless, the vent needs to be open. I have also seen people install their priming bulbs backwards.

Quackrstackr said:
was there pressure in the tank or was it pulling a vacuum?

Pressure would cause it to flood where vacuum would cause it to starve.

Regardless, the vent needs to be open. I have also seen people install their priming bulbs backwards.

I cant answer the first part of the question i dont know :oops: i took the sound as a pressure build up but suppose it could have been a vacuum build up also. As for the primeing bulb installed wrong , it has not been changed so i can rule that out. Thanks for the help.

Just a follow up on my problem , took it back to the lake this morning , made sure the tank vent was open it started on the second pull and ran just fine for the two hours or so that i spent on the lake. Thanks to everyone !!
[-X and a note to myself ALWAYS make sure the tank vent is open :oops: