70's Model Johnson 25 HP

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrewCabMax

Reaction score
I bought a 70's model Johnson 25 HP. I got it with a short shaft and long shaft parts, but neither were on. The previous owen had removed the lower unit to replace the water pump, but never did finish it. The water pump is all out and i have the brand new parts. My only problem is, i didnt take it apart, so i really dont know how it goes back together. Anyone have any step by step pictures/directions. Can you put the water pump it backwards? The lower unit looks to be pretty well straight foward, but the water pump i'm not sure about. ANY info would be great, and pictures would be A TON BETTER!! LOL Thanks!

Joe

I am assuming you are talking about the impeller, it should be new and do not use an old one or you will be left stranded.

It does not matter how you put that impeller in, it spins in one direction and the veins will pull themselves into place. I use a light film of Vaseline. Make sure the pin for impeller is in the drive shaft when assembling.

Far as assembly, make sure housing and base plate is clean and smooth, the rubber grommet for the delivery tube to the water pump is in good condition and seals tight.

It is an easy task, when in doubt though you should obtain a service manual.

Here is a link to online fiche for a look https://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1972/25E72R 1972/GEARCASE/parts.html

good luck!

forgot to mention, been there and done that. I found that I had to also replace all seals while I was in there due to the age and the condition of the rubber.

2898057800051565062S500x500Q85.jpg

Latest posts