Thoughts on hydrofoils

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuckinfutzracing

Reaction score
Hey folks, I have a 14 footer and a 9.9. I usually have atleast 1 other person with me, sometimes 2. We alway have the normal gear, cooler and whatnot. I am a bigger guy and with all the weight it seems to struggle. I have done some searching on here as well as the rest of the world wide interweb and haven't really found anything conclusive. So, does anyone here have a similar setup and have added a hydrofoil to teir unit and gotten positive or negative results? Thanks for any feedback.

i put the hydrofoil on my 15ft tin bass boat and noticed a great improvement in the way it handled top speed Lol was also improved

I used a hyrofoil on my 15hp ob pushing a 14' jon. My tin is a 1445 and I have a front deck, floors, and back deck, and I'm a heavy guy too. After the foil was installed, boat planed out and top speed improved. Some guys frown upon it, but it was a quick "band-aid" fix for me. I haven't noticed any negatives. One of the better investments on my rig.

I have added hydrofoils to a few of my past boats...Always imporved speed and up an plane a lot faster....even handlled better at top speed....

Outdoorsman.

I had one on a 14' Northwoods V-hull. That boat would porpoise really badly, and had a heck of a time getting on step. The Stingray Jr improved the time to plane very well, but I'm pretty sure I lost a little on the top end. Check out the reviews on Cabela's.

I have a home made one on my 14 footer powered by a 20 horse. Stopped the porpising I would get time to time, Also gets it on plane much fast and with less throttle. Speed didn't change any, It got a little better but believe it was due to carb tuning. It really shines in real choppy water.

The reason you won't find any solid facts about them on the internet is simply because they perform differently on every boat....... The ol' starcraft holiday did great with one.... the bayliner would about capsize when turning with one on :shock: ..... I'm picking one up for my 14' tin w/ 9.8hp soon to see how it does...

Latest posts