Aux. outboard

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucescoflathead

Reaction score
I've seen some jon boats with a small (2-4HP) outboard on the back beside their main motor. Is there any advantage to using one instead of an electric motor for trolling? Thanks Todd

How big is their main motor?
Sometimes some of the bigger or older outboards don't like to idle down slow enough for a good troll...to fast.
Guess it would depend on what type fishing you do.

If your main outboard were to break down,a 2hp would move you faster then almost any affordable electric.You would not have to worry about batteries just gas.

Trolling motors are used for mostly bass fishing styles.If I were to be trolling salmon/trout/stripers etc.,I'd look into a smaller outboard,if my main would go slow enough.

I have a 25 hp Evenrude 2 stroke for on my Jon Boat. I was thinking a 2 hp gas motor for trolling or to use when I'm on a limited hp lake. Thanks for the reply Todd

What hp is the lake limited to? Most I've seen are 10 horse max, or 25 max. If yours is a 10 max, I'd get something between 6 and 9.9 horse for that lake. A 2 horse isn't really much motor at all.

They upped the horse power limit to 20 for most limited lakes in Pa. If I didn't have the 25 already, that's what I'd run. I also have a 9.9 Evenrude. I just liked the idea of the small outboard for trolling and for a back up to limp home on.

In Wisconsin they are called "Kicker" motors and are used for trolling walleye, trout, salmon, etc. on big lakes. They are usually confined to larger V-Hull (Deep V) fishing boats. I have never seen one on a Jon boat...that being said....

I am thinking about adding one to my (river Boat) 17 ft Bass Tracker Mod - V Hull Jon boat. It has a 45 hp Merc on it now. I just finished puttting on a "Panther 135" electric trim / tilt unit on her so I would not have to rasie the motor by hand for shallow water...(saves on the old back)....

I have a 4 HP. Merc and a "Kicker" mounting bracket all ready to go. My resaon being most of my river crusing is on smaller rivers that are posted "Slow No Wake". I can run the 45 Hp slow no wake speed but it would burn more gas that the 4 Hp as well as foul plugs not running her at crusing speed. Also I really like the look of matching motors (one big, one small) on the back of a boat... :D

I also have a 16 ft Smokercraft Deep V fishing boat with a 50 hp Merc that I use for fishing bigger lakes...I am kinda torn between putting the 4 HP on the Bass Tacker ot the Smokercraft....still trying to decide....

Outdoorsman.

Latest posts