Need some help: 1960 6 HP Johnson - worth $100?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ober51

Reaction score
Just a quick question although I haven't been around in a while. Went to a garage sale, saw a really nice looking Johnson, guy wants $100 for it. Seems to have compression, can't test it. Says he has the owners manual, tank, etc. Worth the buy? I figure I could sell it for parts for more than that if need be?

yea, almost any outboard is worth $100 in parts.
Besides compression, there's always a chance the ignition and lower unit
is bad w/o doing a lake test.
If you need a motor and willing to work on it, I say go for it.
I have seen supposedly running '70-80s 6hp motors on craigslist for $300-400

Here's an example...

Attachments

• 6hp.JPG
    6hp.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 472
just my 2 cents but if it runs and it's what you want then go for it. Take a look at what a new 5-6hp will cost (4 strokes) and then ask yourself if it's worth it. My 5 1/2 1957 johnson is worth it's weight in gold to me cause it runs great and could not be replaced with a new one for a tenth of the cost. Those craigs list pics say it all, new aint always what it's cracked up to be..just my view. 8)

I would say it's worth it. I bought my 1958 Evinrude for $150. It had good compression too. I had to replace the lower unit and a bracket on the power head. I ended up paying another $950 (which was my choice - I could have sold it for parts) to get it running, but now I have a beautiful old motor that runs like a top for way less than a comparable brand new motor.

Attachments

• IMG_1910.JPG
    IMG_1910.JPG
    241.7 KB · Views: 459

Latest posts