revesed spark plug wires on a 2 stroke?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hanr3

Reaction score
How cna you tell if teh spark plug wires are reversed on a 2 clyindar 2 stroke engine? Can you get it to run?

Thanks!

Im thinking my engine performacne issues are carb related. I bought a used one off ebay to see if it will make any difference. I think part of the jet is broken off just above the fuel bowl. Not sucking fuel properly.

I just went back and re-read your original post about this motor...... I believe your talking about the main jet, and would bet that it is the root of all evil on your motor :mrgreen: They can be had for about 15 to 20 bucks new. It is the one that is screwed into the center of the carb right?

yea, main jet, however on my carb it's not screwed in place, at least from what I have read on the interweb. Looks like one of the previous owners tried to "unscrew" it and broke part of it off.

I ebay'd another carb and it arrived today, $18 delivered. I still have to rebuild it, or at least clean it up. I'll get some pictures and post them up when I get a chance. I have a ton of work to do this week, and today is my 25th anniversary, so it may be a couple of days before I get to it.

I was hoping to hear that the carb could be the root of all my engine problems. Im trying to rule everything else out.

Couple of things I still want to do;
Compression test,
verify the point gap is in time with the cam,
verify the ignition and carb are syncronized properly,
test it again,
then swap out the carb to see if it makes a difference.

I youtubed some other Johnson 18hp engines and they sound 10 times better than mine, they wind out a lot higher rpms, and they move the boat much faster then mine goes.