1970 Johnson 25R70E - Shifter Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mephitic

Reaction score
New to the board, been poking around for a bit now. Recently just purchased a 12' Valco U-12 boat with a Johnson 25 HP 25R70E motor on it. Ran it out on the lake yesterday for the first time to test things out. One thing I did notice is on the left (sitting in the boat looking at the motor) of the housing, there appears to be a missing shift handle or rod to put the motor into forward, neutral, and reverse. There is even a mounting spot it appears. I can still shift using the plastic handle, however I'm sure it would be easier is there was a handle of some sort.

Is there truly indeed suppose to be some sort of a lever or handle here, and if so, where can I pick up another?

Here is a pic of the left side:
25R70E.png

That handle is the shifter for a manual control motor, the bracket and corresponding slotted hole in the shifter is for a remotely controlled motor setup, as in a boat with console steering and throttle.

Yep C.U. Fishing is 100% correct. Make sure you use TCW-3 2cycle marine oil and mix it at fuel/oil ratio of 50:1

1 gallon (87octane) of gas / 2.67oz TCW-3 2cycle marine oil (make sure it is mix well)
3 gallons (87octane) of gas / 8oz TCW-3 2cycle marine oil
6 gallons (87octane) of gas / 16oz TCW-3 2cycle marine oil

The oil in gas is the motor's only form of lubrication and protection. If you are ever in doubt if you added oil to the tank when you fill it up, just add the appropriate amount of oil per gas ratio. If you add more oil because couldn't remember if the gas already has oil, then your only doubling up the concentration (24:1) ....oh well...it won't harm or foul up the motor....it may smoke a little more but that's it. It better to safe than sorry. A 2 cycle motor running with out oil with be sorted lived.

Oh, when you shift from different positions (Reverse, Neutral, Forward), make it quick and purposeful. By slowing shifting into gear or out of gear, you a prematurely wearing out your gears.

As a general rule of thumb, an outboard fuel consumption is as stated.

0.1 gallon/hr per 1 hp at (WOT) wide open throttle

1.5 gallon/hr per 15hp at (WOT) wide open throttle

Now with the above statement being said, older motors tend to be a little more gas thirsty than the newer fuel injected motors.

Get to know your motor and boat regarding fuel consumption.

One last bit of requested advice....open the vent one your tank prior to starting up in the boat. (Not that has happened to me....lol) Thought my motor was crapping out on me and then I realized I had not open the vent plug on the tank to allow air in, so the fuel could flow....(really that never happens to any of us)

Happy fishing and cruising

cajuncook1 said:
One last bit of requested advice....open the vent one your tank prior to starting up in the boat. (Not that has happened to me....lol) Thought my motor was crapping out on me and then I realized I had not open the vent plug on the tank to allow air in, so the fuel could flow....(really that never happens to any of us)

Thanks to both of you, cajuncook1 your notes have been very helpful and cleared up that "wondering" of what the heck goes here :) ... I learned the lesson with the vent opening first time out. Motor kept dying like it was running out of fuel. I'd pump the bulb back up, shortly after the motor would spit and sputter. After like 3 times it dawned on me the vent was closed. After that, ran great without issue ;)

Thanks again to both of you!

Latest posts