Check out of the lower unit oil - 87 Merc 75HP

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveInGA

Reaction score
Decided to do some basic checks on the motor, because I'm going to have to remove it soon to continue the build. Here's pics of what I found during the lower unit oil draining:

LowerUnitOil1.jpg

Pic from the port side of the motor. The oil had come out fast and I took this while it was still dripping into the bucket. There are bubbles, but the oil showed no foaming and no milkiness. The oil was black as the ace of spades dirty/nasty though.

LowerUnitOil3.jpg

Pic from the starboard side of the motor. Same as the previous pic, just a different view.

LowerUnitOilAfter5.jpg

Pic after five minutes for the oil to settle down a bit. Most of the bubbles have popped and the oil is black and stinks badly. Took it out into the sunlight and still no signs of milkiness in the oil.

LUScrewsMetalParticles.jpg

Pic of the screws. Sorry about the focus. I don't use the camera much, so I don't know how to focus it. The bottom screw showed some metalic particulate, but not a lot and about what I expected based on the unit's age and what the manuals told me.

It looks good to me, but I don't know much. What do you guys think?

alittle bit of metal is normal, just gear wear

oil looks good, old and broke down but no signs of water intrusion.

clean the foot real good with some break clean and put synthetic in it