Motor run dry need help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5SF-Doc

Reaction score
Ok so I bought a boat, it has a 1956 35 horse evinrude outboard, have a problem my buddy was messing with it when I was at work cause the guy said it wouldn't start I told him it was a spark plug wire the clamp was bad he did what I told him but he brought the motor in my kitchen an didn't have it in water or running water to it so he was running it dry an I didn't know that an took it to the lake an couldn't get it started after he had it running in my kitchen wondering what could have happened he said there was no noise like it blew or no miss running dunno what could have happened if any one has a clue be greatfully helpful.

Thanks

He ran your engine in the kitchen??? .....and he's still alive??? Apparently you are not married! To start with, replace the water pump impeller before you run it, most likely it it toasty by now since it was running out of water. You need to check the basics. Spark, compression, and fuel delivery. That engine should deliver spark over a 1/4" gap at cranking speed. Chances are you have old cracked coils which will sometimes work while stone cold and always quit when warm. Second, no matter what anyone says - that engine should be run on no less than 24:1 fuel/oil ratio as per factory recommendations. There has never been a factory recommendation that allows any less oil no matter how good todays oils are. You will NOT foul plugs on this ratio. Let us know what the comprression is and whether or not you have spark and we can go from there. Oh, and tell Bubba not to run engines in the kitchen anymore.

Lol ya I didn't kill him yet, it does still have spark haven't checked the compression I also have to change the starting mechanize it's bad but will update when I find out