What size gas tank for a 1965 6HP 'rude?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azekologi

Reaction score
Ok, so there's a few questions that I have...here's the story:

When I bought my boat it came with a 1965 6HP Evinrude and a 6 gallon tank. Both have been sitting for about 10 years. The boat and motor were restored completely before getting stuffed into the barn, so my plans are to freshen up the motor, bucket test it, and see where I'm at. The motor looks pretty clean, so I think that it'll be an easy-going process with few surprises [-o< (pics below).

That said, I need to get fuel to the motor, so a new fuel line will be my second move (compression test first), followed by a fuel tank (if necessary). I looked inside the ancient OMC 6gal tank that came with the motor, and it's pretty clean. Sure, it has a little debris around the edges, but nothing a good swish of fresh fuel won't take care of, right? The worst part of the OMC can is the fuel level gauge...the window is so rusted you can't read the gauge #-o. Now, I don't really care that much about the gauge, but it would be good information to have out on the lake.

A) Can the gauge/fuel line attachment thingy be replaced? ...or...

B) Am I better off just buying a new can?

C) If I do buy a new can, should I get a 3gal or a 6gal? (The price difference is less than $5)

I figure how big of a can I buy is based on how much I'll be running the motor. For the most part, it'll see smaller lakes (150 surface acres), but I'd like to take it to some of the larger, more local lakes (2000, 1250, and 950 surface acres respectively), and possibly the big daddy local lake (10K surface acres). I've got a 55lb electric motor too, so the gas will mainly be used on the bigger lakes to get me to hot spots, and I'll troll around with the electric.

Thanks ya'll!

img_0772.jpg

img_0773.jpg

Here is link to a break down of your metal 6 gallon tank. The link also list the prices of the individual components. (Decide if the cost of repair is equal to a new plastic tank that does not rust)

https://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/EVINRUDE/1968/6802A%201968/FUEL%20TANK%20GROUP/parts.html

- If you are to use your boat in a variety of lakes then get the 6 gallon, unless space /weight is an issue.

Remember the general rule with 2cycle outboard fuel consumption:

This is general rule of thumb.

0.1 gallon/hr per 1 hp at (WOT) wide open throttle

0.6 gallon/hr for a 6 hp at (WOT) wide open throttle.

3 gallon tank with given about 4 to 5hrs of continuous run time at wide open throttle.
6 gallon tank will given about 8 to 10hrs of continuous run time at wide open throttle

Now with the above statement being said, older motors tend to be a little more gas thirsty than the newer fuel injected motors.

Get to know your motor and boat regarding fuel consumption.

Here is a links that give some good information about fuel consumption and outboard motors.

https://www.marineenginedigest.com/specialreports/fuelflowchart.htm

Good luck sir!

Cajun gave you the correct answers to your questions but I would prioritize your "to do" list a little differrently. First, replace the water pump impeller. Cheap insurance for a fine looking and clean little engine you have! Plan on running a little extra oil in your fuel. That engine will see lots of wide open throttle time and that is cheap insurance. You won't foul plugs nor will you see excess smoke. The 6hp engines enjoyed an almost bulletproof reputation so enjoy!!

Latest posts