dont know what to do about leak?!?!?!?!?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfetter20

Reaction score
ok , so im not the best at working on outboard motors , so im asking everyone for a little help. something is leaking on the bottom of this motor that i just got and i cant tell if it is fuel coming out of the exhaust or if it is leaking gear lube from the lower end? can anyone help

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 472
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 472
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 472
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 472
2 cycle motors don't burn all the fuel/oil, so some of it drains out of the foot. That little hole is a weep hole that drains water and some unburned oil/fuel mixed with water. Perfectly normal. If you smell the residual it will have a smell of fuel/oil/water mixture. The color of the gear oil is different. If in double, check the gear oil in the lower foot. Make sure you don't drain too much out or you will have to refill the gearcase.

Good luck.

edit: Your gear case looks ok. Drainage looks like it is coming the weap hole...totally normal.

Here is a link for a good read about your Evinrude 6hp outboard

https://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/OMC_6hp.htm

ok , thank you! that helps quite a bit! by the way , does anyone know where to find gasket and seal kits for the entire outboard? its not bad now but i thought about taking it all the way down during the winter and replacing all of it. what is the best kind of lube for the lower case?