69 Rude Question - short shaft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadCatX

Reaction score
Hey Fellas,

This might not be an issue but something my buddy and I were wondering about. we got a 18hp Evinrude, once it planes out it seems like it stops pulling it seems to slow down some. Any thoughts?

I'm going to try and take a stab at this....no promises.

1.) If your Evinrude 18hp is a short shaft....and you have it on a transom that is 20 inches or greater, the propeller may be up a little high and causing some cavitation when you peak at planing out and losing some acceleration. The anti-cavitation plate should be located just below bottom of the boat.

2.) If your propeller is damage or bent, it could be causing some cavitation and causing you to lose some acceleration when your planing out.

3.) Something is dragging on the boat.....trolling motor not lifted out of the water enough.

Hope this helps!

I am pretty sure its a short shaft about 100% actually, we did notice on open water with other boats messing up the water the prop would come out of the water.
What is an anti cavitation plate?

Troller it out completely it rides on top then we lower it in. Prop appears to be in solid working order.

Latest posts