mercury 200-20hp on a 14 foot wide boat? asap!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fish2keel

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I got a new boat and am in need of a motor. Im looking for an older mercury since my grandfather that taught me to fish and use a jon boat used an old wide jon boat with an old mercury 25 hp. I found a mercury 200-20hp for a great price and it runs the problem i have with it is I am wondering if it going to give me good speed? Im not looking for speedboat power but im looking for atleast 25-30 mph out of it with one or two people. I only bass fish and duck hunt out of her. The boat is a 14 foot jon boat with the width of over 5 feet according to the guy im picking it up from.

Thanks

Will

I have a couple of 20 hp Mercs & they're great. =D> I believe you should be able to see 25 mph if you can find a 11 pitch for it.The props for those motors are a little hard to come by because they are 8 spline instead of the 10 spline that Merc went to in 1982.

You should get 25 mph - i get close to that running a 25 hp on a 16 MirroCraft V boat which is much heavier then what you are using

Do you guys believe that that is fast enough? Will a 24 be much difference in power?

The guy was 115 for the engine but it needs a new pull cord thats all and a prop. Good buy?

Thanks

Will