95 Johnson 40hp tiller

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweettfisher

Reaction score
So..... after replacing the power pack, plugs, fresh gas with sta-bil, my motor is still acting up. I can run it for a good solid 10 mins and the itll bog down. It wont cut off, it just seems like its only running on one cylinder. It might be running hot but i have no clue how becasue the WP is pissing like a champ. Tomorrow im going to run it with the temp and oil sensor unplugged. Ill report back. But any comments/concerns/ideas are welcome. Thanks!!!!

The engine would limit itself to around 2500RPM for an overheat but you would also have an audible alarm, which you did not mention. Also you may want to try pumping the bulb when the issue occurs to bypass the fuel pump. If you are still running the oil injection then don't pump the bulb for too long as you will only be supplying the engine with fuel, not oil, so just a few pumps to see if the engine responds then stop. Alcohol fuel can make the VRO pumps sticky, meaning they can supply enough fuel for idle and part throttle and not quite enough at WOT. With more information we can offer better suggestions.

Yea i read in my manual about the alarm. I havent heard one but i also can't locate an alarm on my motor in accordance with where the maual states it would be. I tryed the priming the bulb and played with the choke some too. What wuld cause the motor to overheat, being that the water pump is working great?

We don't know that the engine is overheating yet. Do yourself a favor and start with a compression check and let's go from there. For checking temps you can disconnect the tan lead from the cyl. head and try running again or an alternate method would be to check with a digital temp gun at the time the issue appears. Check at the top of the cylinder head. That engine should be warmer at idle than at WOT.

Latest posts