2 3 gallon tanks vs 1 6 gallon tank

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summers

Reaction score
Background:
I am looking into a new tank(s) for the boat and wanted to know what people think of my idea. I am thinking about buying two 3 gallon tanks so I could spread the weight of the fuel over a larger area, one tank on each side of the transom support that is welded to the floor of the boat, with the six gallon tank I have to place it on one side or the other. This plan also allow for only having 3 gallons of mixed fuel at a time. Then at the end of the day if i did not need the other three gallons of fuel I could transfer the unused fuel to the auto. This seams like I would prevent having large amounts of mixed fuel which would have the potential to go old between trips.

Question 1:
Does this idea sound rediculous, or are other people doing something similar.

Question 2:
If it is ridiculous what are other people doing with the left over mixed fuel between trips. I do not own any other 2 stroke equipment.

Depending on the boat, it sounds reasonable and "good thinking" on your part. Many of the small boats we run can benefit from having a 3-gallon in the stern and the extra in the bow for weight distribution. If you have a centered pedestal seat then two 3-gallons distributed as you mentioned is the way to go. Just depends on what else you have onboard. A 6-gallon tank just about offsets a battery for example. Am currently looking for a couple of the old steel 3-gallon tanks to better distribute the weight in my 16' Alumacraft.

If you sitting on one side of the boat put the 6 gallons of fuel on the other side to balance out the load.
6 gallons of fuel will last 6 months or longer if you have stabilized the fuel.

I have a 25hp mercuery, some other boat information the center width is 63" and 22" tall at 7' and 70" wide and 16" tall at the stern (14').

I am curently doing a rebuild on the boat and so the floor plan is chaning every day. But becasue of some extra supports i have put in place for the transom the old 6 gallon tank will no longer fit directly center bwtween the last bench and the motor it would have to sit to one side or the other. My wieght distrbusion looks like this front of the boat, 20 gal live well, anchor, trolling motor and casting deck, the middle three group 27 batteries and on board charger, and the rear, anchor, fuel, trolling motor and 25hp mercuery and rear deck. With two adults one in the front and one in the rear.

Im of the opinion that you should go with one 6 gallon tank for numerous reasons.
1) gas weighs roughly 8 pounds per gallon, 6x8 is only 48 pounds.
2) put your anchor and/or battery on the other side of the stern to help balance the weight.
3) never put the battery and gas tank next to each other. Gas is highly flamable, and batteries can make sparks. Lethal combination.
4) Open fuel containers in a boat could spell disaster, see #3 above.
5) If your only going to use 3 gallons of gas, buy 3 gallons of gas.
6) If you buy 6 gallons and only use 3, pour the rest into your truck gas tank. The oil in the gas wont affect anything. Your engine already burns some oil with every stroke.
7) I have a small boat and dont have a problem with a balanced load. My batteries are mid-boat, my 6 gallon steel gas tank is on teh port side of the stern, I sit a little to the starboard side of center by the transom, honestly I thinkt he gas tank offsets my big butt becuase the tank is further from center than I am.

Okay, I think I am just going to get 1 six gallon tank and use it in an offset location of my wieght.

Sta-Bil Marine formula (blue) especially if you can't find ethanol-free gas.

Go fishing more often! Fish longer, so you burn more gas.

The concept of using the tank to balance left/right seems a little illogical to me. The tank gets lighter as the day goes on. You and the battery have the same weight at the end of the day. To keep things balanced you have to catch the same weight in fish as the gas you are burning and put them on the same side. Hahaha.

If you usually bring an ice chest or something heavy that can be moved around easily without getting in the way, then just keep the 6 gallon.

If the 6 gallon is awkward, and you rarely use that much, get one 3 gallon and carry a 2-3 gallon can with unmixed fuel. That will be easier to pour from than the tank. I only have a 20gal tank in my little center console boat. If I'm going offshore or making a 2-day trip, I have a space in my bilge I can fit 3 2-gallon cans. That will get me home from anywhere I'm brave/crazy enough to venture in that boat.

Ok even better, 6 gallons x 6 pounds per gallon = 36 pounds. That wont be enough to unballance a boat, at least noticeable.

I'm not a big fan of an open fuel container in a boat. IF something goes wrong you can't run away.

If you go with 2 tanks just make sure to keep cycling the fuel and don't let it sit in a tank too long. Ethenol is of the devil :twisted: and will cause problems if allowed to sit too long.

Bufford

Latest posts