1994 johnson 9.9 electric start with controls

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howard

Reaction score
Out of my comfort zone, I am in the market for a 10 HP for my 1648 tin. Came across this (1994 Johnson 9.9 electric start has controls) Question: Can I convert to a pull start and add steering arm? Cost, practicable or just walk away?

Howard,

This is just a thought, but why would you want to? I'm willing to bet for less than the cost of converting it to a pull start/tiller, you could add a basic jon boat console to your boat and have a more comfortable setup.

To play the devil's advocate though, that motor is fairly small for that sized jon boat unless you're looking at the ten horsepower only lakes.

To answer your question Howard that motor already has a rope start & all you would have to add is the tiller which you could find on E-Bay.You didn't state how much they're asking for that motor.
But as stated that would be a small motor for that boat & you could probably pick up a larger HP for not too much more money.25-35 HP would be good for that boat.What does the identification tag on your boat have for max HP?

Yes, lakes that require 10 HP or less. They are generally small (500 acres are less) so not much distance to travel. I also fish one lake which is electric only and you can not have a gas motor on your tin. I understand this is under sized. My fishing style is that I launch, go hit a spot and troll around (4-8 hours) and then head back to ramp. I thought about the console but figured it was much for a 9.9, I like the extra space and I really don't plan to use the motor much. I was going to offer $500 for it.