20" shaft on a boat that requires a 15"

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadrac

Reaction score
Hello

Due to some unusual circumstances I ended up with a 14 foot jon boat (it takes a short shaft 15" transom) and a motor that is 20" transom. I was hoping someone could tell me what the draw back to the set up would be?
thanks
Jim

The drawback would be:
1) Hitting the bottom of the lake/river/ocean with your skeg due to an extra 5” of motor in the water.
2) The extra 5” of motor in the water would create excessive drag
3) The overall performance would suffer with a lower top speed, poor hole-shot, and harder to plain since the cavitation plate would be nowhere near where it needs to be height-wise (within an inch of the bottom of the boat)

However, there is a solution and here it is:

Build an aluminum transom riser that sandwiches the transom and raises the longshaft motor to the proper height. The performance will improve greatly and you will have more clearance for shallower waters.

DSC_0122.jpg

DSC_0121.jpg

Truckmechanic: its a 9.9 Mercury from the late 80's

thanks for the advice guys
I appreciate all the input

Jim

This is the TH mini jacker

Attachments

• IMG_5583.JPG
    IMG_5583.JPG
    568.7 KB · Views: 1,637
I'm running a 20" on a 15" transom. I am using CMC jet drive adapters, or also refereed to as 15" to 20" conversion plates $150

2726119390051565062S500x500Q85.jpg

It took me forever to find a 50 Short shaft. I thought I was gonna have to do some/one of the things mentioned in this thread if I bought a long shaft.

Attachments

• Watch this.jpg
    Watch this.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 1,551