1960 evinrude 40 hp lark II

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcrockett222

Reaction score
Hello everyone:

New to the forums and boating, been checking out the site for a couple of weeks. So anyway last Friday I bought a 1969 14' Starcraft semi v to rebuild. It has a 1960 evinrude 40 hp Lark II on it and this is all sitting on a tilt trailer of unknown make paid 350.00 for everything.

Well to the problem gutted boat and decided to check out the motor, plugged in the harness to the motor the other end goes to the sylonoid then to to the end with a push button with a red wire and a white wire attached i assume the button is to start the motor there are two black wires just hanging.

So I clean everything up, replace all gas and vacum lines, new gas tank and gas line to motor tank and line was a little pricey. I push the starter button realize it is in gear put it in netural push the button again and the motor starts and stays running. It runs really rough but i guess this is normal as it was full of dirt dobbers and everything else when I got it.

I didn't run it but a couple of minutes, and I think well it runs but now how do I kill the engine so I think hey I'll just unplug the harness guess what happens nothing it keeps running. Well I'm guessing it needs to be grounded somehow but I didn't want to burn anything up so I choke it out.

So I have a few questions, which or what wires do I hook up for the kill switch, and two the water outlet for this motor does the water come out the exhaust or a wheep hole and how hot should the water be that comes out it didn't seem to take verry long to heat up.

Looking forward to any advice that I can get as I am new to boats and motors. I'll be posting pics later in the modification section.

Thanks James.

stop switch is connected to the wires coming from the mag. You short them out together and it will ill the ignition.

the water does come out the exhaust, up high port and down by the prop.