Old Evenrude help...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtwarrow

Reaction score
Okay guys I have till the 15th to get this puppy running. 15 hp Rude. OLD motor. I don't have #'s or know much about it except that it needs a weird gas tank... Pics of motor here...

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/download/file.php?id=17109&t=1

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/download/file.php?id=17108&t=1

It had the bottom cylinder locked up. I was able to get that loose and it has compression. Probably new plugs would be a good idea too... Not really looked at it much since I brought it home. Just put in garage and worked on the rest of the boat.
So anyone know much about this old thing? I'm willing to bet it will run just fine once I can get gas to it, but if any other known issues about this motor, please let me know...

Thanks...

You are probably referring to an engine around the 1953-1956 vintage. Not going to chance downloading a file to see ............ Nice engines and good runners. The first issue would be the fact that the lower cyl. was stuck and you have to wonder why. The answer to that may lie in when the last owner had it running. He probably mistakenly ran it on a 50:1 fuel oil ratio and stuck it. That engine has to be run at a minimum of 24:1 ratio to live and not suffer premature wear. If it has been run in the last few years then you may not have to go completely through the ignition system. A good points cleaning and resetting to .020 may be all thats necessary. The wierd tank you are referring to is a simple pressure tank, having two lines attached to it. One line supplies gas/oil to engine and the other takes the pressure/vacuum pulses developed by the engine to pressurize the fuel tank and push the fuel to the engine. Simple. You need to let us know more about the history of the engine and I can get you closer to what you need to do to get it running properly. I always do at least an impeller, usually a gearcaase reseal (may not be necessary in your case), ignition service, and carb service or cleaning depending on when it had a kit installed last.

Pappy said:
The wierd tank you are referring to is a simple pressure tank, having two lines attached to it. One line supplies gas/oil to engine and the other takes the pressure/vacuum pulses developed by the engine to pressurize the fuel tank and push the fuel to the engine. Simple............I always do at least an impeller, usually a gearcaase reseal (may not be necessary in your case), ignition service, and carb service or cleaning depending on when it had a kit installed last.
^ Pappy Nailed it.

The pressure tank may be a little harder to find, and the price for a working ventage one is going to be over $100.00 if you find one because they are not real common. There are plenty of sites offering the older parts so do the impeller, check the gearcase (heck I would probably reseal it anyway) and check your electronics and carbs.

Bufford

Latest posts