Sears 3.5hp ?'s

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENIRB

Reaction score
I just got this and am trying to find any information about the motor.

Model: 60920
Ser#: 095068B

It starts like a champ, but I haven't been able to use it because I am in need of a gasket, or O-ring for the fuel connection, and I am unsure of the fuel/oil mixture. Any ideas?

Upon inspection there was the remains of a gasket, or maybe it was just a film buildup, idk. Regardless, I need a gasket/O-ring to put in there to create a seal to stop the fuel leak. Can I just go to the hardware store and find an appropriate O-ring, or does this require something special.

This is for use on a 12' Jon, but if it will push a 14' V I will use it on that too. Not trying to set speed records, just trying to extend my range from the electric TM and maybe go a lil faster than the electric will push it.

Thoughts?

I have a gamefisher 3.5 but yours is older the cover is diffrent but the motor to the prop look the same. If it is its a Tecumpseh. mine has the tank on top. it pushes my crawdad around good and it has a full floor so its heavy . I Got a carb kit for mine on ebay . cost me 25$

playall8 said:
I have a gamefisher 3.5 but yours is older the cover is diffrent but the motor to the prop look the same. If it is its a Tecumpseh. mine has the tank on top. it pushes my crawdad around good and it has a full floor so its heavy . I Got a carb kit for mine on ebay . cost me 25$

Mine doesn't have a built in tank, I have a 3 gal external. I'm going to give o-rings a shot this weekend and see how it works out.

You can buy an assortment of O rings pretty cheap at an autoparts store. I had a Grant Sport 5 HP which was made for Grants department stores by Eska. I understand they made a lot of the store brand outboards. Good Luck.

I used a "flat faucet washer) from the hardware store. Sanded down the thickness to give it the perfect fit.
Thanks for the tip!

ENIRB said:
I used a "flat faucet washer) from the hardware store. Sanded down the thickness to give it the perfect fit.
Thanks for the tip!

There you go. I suggest checking it fairly frequently to make sure gasoline isn't dissolving it, as it's a washer designed for use with water.

DaveInGA said:
ENIRB said:
Thanks for the tip!

There you go. I suggest checking it fairly frequently to make sure gasoline isn't dissolving it, as it's a washer designed for use with water.

Yeah I figured it would decay over time, but that's alright. Washers are cheap .99 for 2.
I took the motor out, runs well, although it appears the gas can has developed a leak on the bottom seam of the metal.
I've made up my mind to try to sell it, and put the money towards a 18hp or so.
That way I can get up on plane and get to the fish instead of farting around.
I will still be able to swap the motor between boats as well.

Latest posts