Power Drive vs. Cable Drive Trolling Motors......

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick James

Reaction score
I'm not really sure what I should be looking at. I only have experience with the cable drive foot control trolling motors While I like the precision that these offer when bass fishing (90% of what I do), I also like the idea of the longer cord on the power drive models, and being able to use it from the back seat of my boat if needed. I do also fish a couple of electric only lakes, so sometimes longer runs need to be made in the boat.

For what it's worth, the boat is a 12' semi V.

Your thoughts?

Powerdrive all the way. With the old cable steer I couldn't fish and drive at the same time so I drifted while fishing, a real PITA in current or wind.

With the powerdrive the steering stays locked at the last setting so I can troll at slow speed. I have the autopilot as well and that's really nice. Point the troller where you want to go and it'll take you there, very nice in calms but a bit tricky in wind or current (you have to tweak it a bit). Still you get to concentrate on fishing instead of concentrating on driving all the time.

Mine has variable speed as well which is great for holding against current or just creeping along a shoreline. On my setup I usually use my finger to run the troller. The copilot option is one I may end up with. The long cable is ok, haven't used it from the back of the boat yet. I just let the autopilot keep us on track while helping the kids with fish or other distractions, I used to drop the hook instead...

Jamie

I used a buddies powerdrive last time out. Did like that it stayed pointed where you left it and it was easier to tell where it was pointed. I'm sure it's more money and I would wonder if it's as reliable as an old cable drive.

I would stay with the cable steer i think the power drive lacks the response in turns that is needed in shallow water to avoid hitting things like stumps
if you fish deeper open water the power drive will work great . I had a power drive and gave it away...

I hope that this helps super freak!!!

I have a digital powerdrive on my boat, Love it alot. Used the pedal when I first got it, Kinda different to get the hang of. Redbug makes a great point about shallow water, Its not super sensitive. I bought the co-pilot wireless kit from bass pro and love the thing ten times more now then I did. I hardly ever get the pedal out from under the bench now. The keyfob just goes on the rod for thumb use, I can run the motor exactly how I want at the back of the boat looking the other direction with a fish on. And as for shallow water use or stump infested water, This thing is tough. Makes Chuck Norris look like a school girl! I have hung it up at full speed and about come out of the boat and the thing acted unphased by it. I don't know what the shaft is made out of but its some tough stuff. I won't own another with out wireless control, The footpedel is nice but I am sold on the keyfob.