Hello! Merc. 20 4strokes

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc 1959

Reaction score
Hello guys !

Im new here , i love Tinboats.net =D>

Looking for Jon 1648 20``tramson , boat have a Merc 4 strokes long foot on ( no électric starter ) :roll:

Do you think he is strong(motor) enough ? im 6 feet 250 lbs + tank + batterie for Electric motor in front ( 55lbs ) :oops:

Any suggestions for electric motor , max is 55lbs + im largemouth bass addict so i love to fish in dirty things .... =P~

Thanks all your helps [-o<
Marc

Hey Marc.

Welcome aboard. You're gonna love it here.

As for your questions....I'm not sure from your post if you are looking to buy this, and asking our opinion if it's going to suit you or not? I'm a bit confused.

What size (HP) is the Merc motor?

Hi Fender !

Sorry my mistake .... :roll:

its 20hp 4 strokes .... im thinking to buy this kit! i think is not strong enough to push the rig right ?!?

Sorry my english is very bad im french Canadian !

Thanks for your patience !

Marc

Marc,

That motor will push the boat, with you in it. I know that because I have a 1648 with a 40HP jet on it. With the jet, you lose about 30 percent of your HP and that would put mine about 28HP from the jet. I can load it down with 2 people and go just fine. I'm not going to break speed records, but it still does fine. If it was a little less, say, 20HP like what you are considering....I still believe it would work.

Also, there are a LOT of people on this site that have 9.9 HP motors and they seem happy. Some even power by trolling motor only. It all depends on what for and where you want to use it.

Sounds like that motor would get you up on plane. I doubt if it would be a hotrod. The boat hull should have a maximum horsepower rating. This and some math will tell you about where the 20 HP motor is for that boat.

boat motor HP/boat's HP rating X 100 = percentage of maximum horsepower the boat is rated for

As far as a trolling motor goes, a 55ft.lb. trolling motor should be fine for average use. You might want to consider a bit more if the water you fish on is really windy and large. But then, you might want to consider a V-hull as well if the water is windy and large. But based on your information, I would go with a 12V Minn Kota Maxxum variable speed or one of their other more expensive variable speeds. This will give you maximum service out of a single twelve volt battery.

Thanks Fender and Dave !

If i make any moves i will post somes pics !

Thanks again !

Marc