18hp or 25hp, which to choose??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasond37

Reaction score
I recently bought a 14' Lowe 1410v aluminum boat without a motor. If I remember right it's about 65" wide. The boat is rated for a 25 hp motor. I've been browsing around for motors and found a few 18hp and 25hp. My question is will an 18hp motor be enough to power my boat? There usually will be two people in the boat, battery, trolling motor, and basic fishing gear. I don't bring much out. The one I am really looking at is an 18hp Johnson, early 70's model. The only reason right now I am looking at the 18hp is cost, much cheaper than a 25hp. Will the 18hp be enough or should I wait and max it out with the 25hp?

newboatr-1.jpg

hold out for a 25, you can always use a little more power and it will add to your resale when your ready to upgrade!

I'd hold out for the maximum horsepower the boat is rated for. Yes, the 18 hp would push it along but in time you'd probably wish you had bought the 25 hp instead.

I agree. The only reason I would go with the 18 is if you have a horse power limited lake. In Pa. a lot of good places to fish were limited to 10 hp. That's why you see so many 9.9 hps here. Now that some places have raised the hp limit to 20 hp, that will probably be the next hot motor.

If you don't have a limit, I'd go with the 25. Todd

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I am going to hold out and get a 25 later this winter. I have plenty of time to save up, winter is almost here so I wouldn't need the boat for awhile anyway. I just thought if I could save a few bucks, but I don't want to be left with the idea of being dissappointed, if I had only waited.

Interesting that it appears to have a short-shaft transom as the newer Lowes are long shaft in this size. You want to make sure you get a short shaft 25 for it, otherwise you sacrifice all the power advantage. Actually, do the safe thing and measure the exact transom height then match the motor.

max out the hp.... it will actually end up saving you a little bit of coin in the end as you wont have to run full throttle to get the speed your looking for. You have a nice platform to start with... good luck!

Latest posts