Minn Kota Power Drive

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

River

Reaction score
Hey everyone need some advice. Picking up a new tracker grizzley 1860 CC consloe in 2 weeks. Making up a long Christmas list. Looking for advice on a Minn Kota Powerdrive V2;bow mount w/ I-pilot. Going for the 12volt 55lb Thrust, battery storage may be a problem. Also has anyone had experience with the electric motors that bolt to the outboard. 50 hp mecr 2 cycle. Thanks for any advice....River

Welcome to the site River.

I deleted the other thread you started in Electrical with the same question, so we don't have duplicate threads going.

Congrats on the soon to be new rig. That sounds like a sweet setup. What kind of advice would you like on the V2? I don't have one, but I wish I did. I've heard great things about them. I would think you've got plenty of boat for battery storage. My brother had one of the TM that mount to the outboard. Kinda neat on his fish/ski. He did alot of trolling from the cockpit. I wouldn't go that route unless you do alot more trolling than casting.

Thanks, Brine
I do a lot of trolling for crappie on the local smaller lakes. Ive read reviews on the v2 and they seem to be mixed?
On my 1438 fisher I run twin minn kota 40Lbs> kinda like the idea of having a back up. The way the new grizzley is set up ( sponsons?) on the rear I dont think a transom mount will work>Starting mt christmass list and have learned a lot here.
Thanks.....River

I have a PD2 with the auto pilot, 12v 55lb and I really like it. It moves my 1648 well, will leave a wake when wide open. It should move a 1860 pretty well albeit slower and might have trouble in high thunderstorm like winds and waves.

I thought about the Ipilot but I'll never troll over the same patch of water twice so it didn't make much sense for me. Plus with the AP I can just twitch the controls a bit as I follow a shoreline and allow for wind and current. Really isn't a chore to run like the cable jobs were and I use the foot control with my fingertips.

The battery life isn't an issue either. The ten minutes of run back to the ramp charges the battery from running the troller.

Jamie

Ive had to kick my power drive off the mount ever since I put the thing on. The motor runs great but getting it in and out of the water is another story. Id never buy another and had I known about the pain it was I wouldnt have bought it to begin with.

Latest posts