93 Johnson 15 hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popeye

Reaction score
I have a friend that is looking at a 1993 15 HP Johnson, short shaft, with a 9.9 cowl for $1200 to power his 14' aluminum boat. Its has both electric and a pull start. It has about 50 hours on it and comes with a year warranty. Are Johnson motors generally good quality through any model year. Any thoughts or comments?

The older ones are great motors,up to 1985.I haven't had any experience wither the newer ones but I would imagine they are just as good.

I'm pretty sure short shafts with electric start were pretty rare (I've never seen one.) He might want to take a second look under the hood before spending top dollar like that. It's a pretty good bet the thing has been built up. Also he should keep in mind he could get a new Tohatsu delivered for not much more than that. Also another thing to keep in mind is the stator only produces 5 amps, not really enough to actually charge a battery (which every sailor already knows.)

I never have understood an electric start on one of these. Mine always starts on the second pull. I guess there's lazy, then there is lazy.

k2nax said:
I'm pretty sure short shafts with electric start were pretty rare (I've never seen one.) He might want to take a second look under the hood before spending top dollar like that. It's a pretty good bet the thing has been built up.

Way more common than you think. Seems like a decent deal if it is in fact a 15hp. Provide the model number if possible and that will tell exactly what the engine is. As far as durability goes they are excellent as long as normal care and running practices are used, same as any engine.

I owned a 90 and 2007 15 hp johnson.... both were great motors... i never had electric start, bu I do think that 1200 is definitely overpriced.... I might give maybe 500-700 for it tops.... I bought my boat, motor (2001 25 hp merc short shaft and trailer for 1200.... you do the math... [-X