2001 merc 25 2 smoke

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captdan

Reaction score
So today I took my jon down the river for a quick spin to see what I got as far as speed goes.... I topped out at 23.4 mph with only myself and a very light load..... cruising was around 21....

Id like to try to get her to run top end around 30 with me alone and 27 or so with another person and gear. Things Id like to do to accomplish more speed/shallower draft are to add a manual jackplate and change my prop to stainless (have a stock aluminum that looks like its hit a thing or two) ....

What do you "experts" think I should do?

I think that you are getting all that you are going to get out of a 25 hp.SS prop may get you an extra mile per hour or two,but I don't think the price tag would be worth it.

Look on your prop & see if there's any numbers.Those speeds seem slow for that motor,but it depends what prop you have & size of your tin.I have a 20 hp Merc on a 1240 v with a 11 pitch prop & see about 30 mph.

Yes, those speeds do seem as little slow. I get about the same speed as you with my 18hp on a 1542 jon. What size is your boat?

Mine does exactly what you are saying you would like. 31ish by myself and 27-28 with a full load. My 14' Alweld is loaded down for saltwater fishing (2 big guys, trolling motor, battery, diamond plate floor, 120 qt. ice chest w/ice, gear & tackle bag 30lbs+, 6 gallons of gas, etc).

Keep in mind that I'm also running a Yamaha 4 stroke 25hp that is probably 100lbs heavier than yours. I have an 11 1/4" pitch prop. I tried a 12 and it was scary fast (upper 30's) with me alone in the boat. It was to much prop for the full "fishing" weight. It is also mounted on a jack plate with 7" of setback. The setback allows me to run the motor with the cavitation plate a couple of inches above the bottom of the boat. This puts it in clean water with the least amount of drag.

The only true way to properly prop a motor is to use a tach to get you in the proper RPM range.
Check the following:
1. Your cavitation plate should be close to even with the bottom of your boat +/- 3/4".
2. Your trim angle can greatly affect your speed. Play with the different settings. Go high on the settings until the boat starts to porpoise. Bring it down one notch and that should be your optimum setting. I raise mine one hole when I have two people in my boat and lower it one when I'm by myself.
3. Check your weight distibution. To much weight in the front will slow you down.

Hope some of this helps!

ok, the boat measures 14' 8". The current setup is on the 2nd lowest setting.... I looked over the prop today and it looks like its dinged up pretty good.... I figure the boat itself weighs in at around 275-300 lbs easy considering there is a full deck and side storage (all aluminum)...add my weight of 240 plus the motor, gas tank, battery and very small cooler, The jon is 42 inches across at the bottom transom, 60" top beam.

Motors cavitation plate sits approx 1 inch above the bottom of the boat....weight was well distributed and the boat planed well....

I need to pull the stock prop to check current pitch and diameter.... like i said, the blades are pretty beat up....

I have a forum member from another site who has offered to lend me his tiny tach to check what rpms I am getting from the motor with the current prop.

I have an offer to buy a bobs machine shop manual jackplate for 100 bucks. It offers 4.5-6.5" setback and 4" vertical adjustment..... I think I may scoop that up this weekend...

I

$100 is a pretty good price on the jack plate.It will put your motor in some cleaner water & you might be able to bring your motor a little higher.Next time out try moving your pin up one hole.Don't get too carried away with jacking your motor up & make sure its pumping water.Your on the right track.If your looking for a prop don't buy a Solas.I've found that the stainless in those props is quite soft & tends to bend easily.I would buy a Power Tech or a Merc factory prop.

Talked to the guy with the jackplate, agreed on price, now just have to wait for him to get back in town.... =D> Also talked to owner of "The Skiff Shop" who is going to meet me at the marina when I am ready to test some props...

My Yamaha 25 2 stroke on a 1542 MV Southfork will get about 32 with just me and light load. Around 30 mph with me fishing partner nad gear.

Latest posts