1976 Johnson 9.9 Seahorse

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redphysher

Reaction score
One day my motor just quit running. I took it to the shop. They said it ran fine. i never could get it to run ever again. I re-built the carb. I changed the plugs. Cleaned the carb. Hit the carb with a 10 lb maul.. J/K. So, I went out and bought a used 2007 nissan 6hp 4-stroke for 600 bucks. i would like to get the ole girl running again and sell off the 6 hp down the road. I just do not know what else to do and I have sunk 200 bucks into the 9.9 over the past year. Any ideas? I have read and re-read everything I can find on the i-net but I am not a boat motor guru. If you got and ideas for the next step let me know. I did spray a tiny tiny amount of starter fluid in the carb out of frustration and it turned over. Seems like a clogged carb but I can figure it out.

thanks

yes Sorry I did not post that. cyn 1: 107 cyn 2: 105 I believe. i have it wrote down in my shop somewhere. The motor has been sitting for 6 months now. I just gave up on it

You should try checking the fuel supply. pump the bulb with the hose removed from the motor. You will have the push on the ball at the end of the hose, but fuel should flow freely here. Second you can remove the fuel pump cover. There is a screen in there that can plug off. Pump the bulb again to make sure it is flowing. then remove the supply hose to the carb and try the same thing. Somewhere along the way the supply seems to be plugged.

(I have had to do this at the lake with my 9.9 in the past.)

You have to have three things to make a simple two stroke run.

1) Spark - Can jump at least a 1/4" gap, and at the right time.
2) Compression - You have that
3) Fuel - At the correct mixture for good running characteristics.

Before going to alot of trouble dissassembling your fuel system check your spark first (with both spark plugs removed). If you have spark then simply get yourself a squeeze bottle and put a little gas and oil in it and squeeze a little down the carb throat and see if it fires. If it does then we know which way to go from there.

it does have spark i will try the squeeze bottle method never thought of that. Could it be not enough spark? As in a coil is going/gone bad?