9.9 evinrude

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsmit13

Reaction score
Ive got a 9.9 that wont start in the start position, but if you put it in gear then start it , it fires right up with 2 pulls, but it wont stay running inless you give it gas. It runs great at top speed, but as soon as you drop to idle it dies.any ideas?

You should try something simple like opening up the low speed needle valve a few turns. The blockage might be right there. It can be done from the front of the motor. If you do and it works, you will have to screw it back in to let the engine idle properly: screw it all the way until it stops and back it off one full turn.

Pappy said:
Chances are you have trash in the low speed circuit in the carburetor. If it were me I would purchase a carb kit, clean out the carb and go from there.

Hey rsmit13,

Pappy gave you some good advice. He works on outboards for a living. :)

Here is a link that gives you some information and good advice how to maintain your motor.(The author has put a lot of very good information in this article....my hats off to him!!)

https://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/OMC/OMC%20info.htm

Hope this helps you!

Thanks for the info, Im going to get a carb kit and get it running again, but my other half told me she thinks i should buy a new motor. I almost passed out!!! Its a golden oppurtunity so im going to buy a new one, and keep this one for a back up

Man, that doesn't happen everyday. Check out the Tohatsu/Nissan 4 strokes and save yourself $500.

Latest posts