need advice

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsmit13

Reaction score
Im looking at buying a new motor, first of all how much of a difference is it between a 9.9 and 15hp? Its going on a 1548 tracker, up till now ive been running a 9.9 and it runs pretty decent, but thinking of upgrading to the 15. Would it be worth the extra money? Second, trying to decide between suzuki, and nissan. Really havent found alot of reviews on either of them, so unsure which is better.

You will get a lot opinions on this one. So here's my 2 cents...

If I were buying a "new" motor, I would go for the max hp my boat is rated for. You'll never regret having more ponies. I have no preference on the brands so I won't speak to that.

However, if I had a 9.9 hp motor and it delivered good performance, I see no need to spend the money.
Dang, I'm starting to sound like my father.

Good luck. -jasper

I think a 9.9 may be a little small for that boat. I have an 18hp on my 1542 jon and I wouldn't go with any less power than that. I suggest you get the 15hp or larger.

Having run a 9.9 for a while I think it will be way too small for a 1548 with three people and gear in the boat. It would be good for trolling in a small lake with two people and limited gear (providing the wind does not pick up.) Otherwise go for a 25-40 depending on the hull rating. I use mine on the two 10hp limit lakes near me but otherwise I would say go larger.

Buy the bigger one and you only cry once....go smaller and have to buy again and you cry twice.

It will be worth it to go larger.

My buddy has a suzuki 15 4 stroke electric start, seems to be a real good motor from what i see.. are you buying new or used?

2 cents, not all 9.9's can be re carbed, might need to change the exhaust also. Rudes and Johnson's were that way, needed both. I have a 2008-09 Yamaha 15 4 stroke, quietest motor on the market. Just bought it 2 weeks ago. From 2007 and newer the 15's and the 20's were redesigned and are the same engine. Just have to swap the carb out. $348 and your 15 is now a 20. I have a 16' Sea Nymph. I decided the 15 was better than the 20. Trolls slower and gets me around just fine. Was not really caring about speed any more. Just relaxing quite ride and chatting with my sons and grand kids when we fished. If I wanted speed, I guess I would have kept the 85hp Suzuki Jet I had on it. Fishing is about peace and tranquility. Go with a 15 4 stroke if you can, there sweet. If you get a Yamaha just drop a Honda 4 blade prop on it. Makes a huge difference. Most motors are not propped correctly from the factory. If you go new. it's more important you have a good dealer in your area that can service what you buy.