Johnson/Evinrude 9.9-15hp Question........

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick James

Reaction score
So I picked up a new (to me) 1977 15hp Johnson motor. It's in great shape overall, but needs a few things done to it.

The previous owner replaced the elbow that comes out of the water jacket, and added a piece of 1/4" id rubber tube to it and just fed it out the back for the pee hole. The original pee hole has a nipple on the end, and from what I've read it's important to have that nipple to regulate the pressure of the cooling system, vs. just having an open ended 1/4" tube.

Can someone please measure the inside diameter of this nipple on the end of the pee tube? I've included a pic below, it should be right where the arrow points.

8320pee20hole2.jpg

That hole shoud be .085.
This info was obtained from this site.https://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/Johnson%209.9_15.htm

Thanks so much for finding that.

The sad thing is I've been looking at that article for 3 days now and didn't happen to see that part of it. #-o

Thanks guys, I got the nipple tonight and got the entire thing plumbed into the water jacket. Now I just gotta get the lower gear oil changed, and I should be able to take it out for my first ride on Saturday.