1969 Evinrude

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadCatX

Reaction score
We got a 1969 Evinrude that we cleaned the carb on put back on and it ran great for an afternoon. The other Saturday we took it out and it would not fire up. We thought we may have flooded it out but today we tried again and it did the same thing. We checked the plugs and while they were wet they were getting spark. we also know fuel is getting at least to the filter.

thoughts?

Gonna get some plugs but does any have any experience with these my buddy and I are not sure.

Thanks!

Pump the primer bulb. It should get hard letting you know the float valve is closing. If it does not get hard the valve may be stuck open letting too much fuel into the engine flooding it. Another thing to check is the fuel itself. Did you purchase fuel for it since your first outing after cleaning the carb? I purchased some fuel one time that my motor did not like at all. I put some fresh fuel in it and it fired right up.

Yeah the bulb got firm it had a "little squeeze" to it but not much. the fuel we tried yesterday was 93 we got that morning.

The fuel I had problems with was purchased the same morning I had problems with it also. Just because you just purchased it does not mean it is the best quality.

You can also try disconnecting the fuel line from the motor and trying to start it to attempt to burn out the fuel in the cylinders causing the flooding condition. If it runs a couple of seconds and quits, you know the flooding condition is gone for the moment. The plugs should then be dryer than they were before. Then hook up the fuel line and try it again.

Cool thanks will try that. If anyone else has any suggestions please don't hesitate.

thanks!

Latest posts