CHANGE DUAL CONTROLS TO SINGLE

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOHNSON44

Reaction score
The two 48HP Johnsons on my 18X60 Duracraft were connected to two sets of controls, one to each motor. They were apparently bolted together with a connecting plate. I am only putting one of the 48s back on the boat as it is rated to a 50. It looks as if I can just unbolt the two halves and have one single set of controls. I will have to create some sort of cover when I get that far. Second issue is that the controls were in a vertical position with the control handles sticking straight up and the cables going straight down in a standup console. I want a conventional setup with the control handlels veritcal and the cables running horizontally back to the motor. Any demons hidden here I should be aware of?

Attachments

• 100_0366.jpg
    100_0366.jpg
    451.7 KB · Views: 584
  • 100_0367.jpg
    100_0367.jpg
    465.7 KB · Views: 584
I know it would take some of the fun and challenge out of it, but have you looked on e-bay or craigs list for a controller that would work as is? Just a thought.

I have looked at Ebay and Craigslist. Those I found were much too costly for my cheap blood.
I am close to putting the console in and hooking up the control box. So we shall see how it goes.
Progress on this rebuild is at 18' Duracraft rebuild. Thanks for the note.

That looks like a true dual control, and a good one. Can you find the model #. If it has all the parts, you could sell it on ebay to produce the $ to buy a new one. You might get more than enough. You have a nice boat, it would be worth it to spend the money on a new control. When I changed from a Force to an Evinrude, I bought a universal Teleflex control and universal cables. If I ever replace the engine with something different, all I have to change is the cable ends.

good idea. I never thought of selling the controls and buying a single. thanks a lot.

I did not try to sell the dual controls. They came apart with a little study and four bolts. Now I have a spare. The control handle sits on a splined shaft with one screw. Took that off, rotated the handle 90 degrees and it is now perfect. I made a mount for the control unit and all that is installed. More photos tomorrow at 18' Duracraft Rebuild.