Fuel gauge on portable tank

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VBTravisD

Reaction score
Is there a way to hook up a dash mounted fuel gauge on a plastic portable tank? How could I ground the sender? Should I worry about electrical around gas fumes?

How many wires on the sender?

If it's just one, then ground is through the body of the sender which screws into a metal fitting that is grounded.

If the sender has more than one wire, you need to know what each wire is for. Hook it up accordingly.

As to your other question, YES you must be extremely carefull with electricity around gas fumes. Even static electricity is enough to ignite gas fumes. Ever read the warning stickers at your local gas pump. Do not re-enter vehicle, do not use a cell phone while pumping gas. Touch the body of the vehicle before dispensing fuel. Ever wonder why the gas cover is metal?

Sure, why not? I think most senders have two wires. The ground is a tab on top of the mounting plate that accepts a connector. You need to run the ground wire to the negative battery terminal or ground terminal somewhere (don't ground through hull). If the tank is mounted in a closed in area, you need to vent it to the outside. Running a separate vent hose to the outside of the hull will add some expense in addition to your sender and gauge. I did this on mine, since my tank is under the front deck. Standard thru-hull vents use 5/8" hose, so you'd need to get a 5/8" hose barb coming out of your tank somehow. Make a loop in the hose to keep water out or use a p-trap type vent. I have pics of mine on page 2 of my mod. Pic of tank on page 1, but no pic of the hose connection to tank.

Latest posts