8 HP mariner outboard, anybody know any information?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Redcorn

Reaction score
https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/boa/2051565974.html
I am interested in purchasing this outboard for a Jon boat project, but i know little to nothing about engines. I know there is not much information listed about the engine, and i will try to contact the seller and try to find out more information, but does anybody know anything about this engine or brand. Any information at all would be really helpful.
Thanks.

By the shape of the cowl and the style of the decals I would say it's an early 80s yamaha built motor. If it has good compression it is worth the money. Also ask if it has been run in salt water.

thanks, other than good compression and whether it has been used in salt water or not, what should i be looking for in the engine or questions i should ask the owner that would let me know if the engine is reliable or not.

At the price they were asking it should have been an easy sell. Lowering the price might mean that other people have looked at the motor and passed. Then I could be wrong.

John Redcorn said:
https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/boa/2051565974.html
I am interested in purchasing this outboard for a Jon boat project, but i know little to nothing about engines. I know there is not much information listed about the engine, and i will try to contact the seller and try to find out more information, but does anybody know anything about this engine or brand. Any information at all would be really helpful.
Thanks.

Mariner is made by Mercury, they don't sell them new here anymore but still make them for overseas where there are no EPA regulations. They were just a different line from their classic Black Mercury outboards and a little cheaper too.

Bufford