Propellers

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hanr3

Reaction score
How many of you carry several different styles of props?
Like a 4 blade for trolling, and a 3 blade for making the long haul across the lake at top speed.

Or do you carry one prop and comprimise?

I burnt the hub in my main prop and threw on the spare. got to thinking now is the time to diversify, maybe get me atrolling prop. Curious to see what everybody else does.

I usually use different motors instead of different props.Most of my motors run an 11 pitch prop which lets me troll or go fast.On my 20 hp I run a 2 blade but on my 15 hp I run a 3 blade.Tried a 4 blade once & wasn't happy.On my 40 hp I run a 15 pitch 2 blade, but that motor is just for getting from point A to point B & I don't troll with that one.

I carry a spare prop "just in case" on my tin boat - but i do not change props for different applications (I mean I thought boats were for fishing any way) [-X

They are for fishing. However different props change the way your boat moves in the water. Like a 4 blader is great for trolling, or a high pitch prop will get you to your favorite spot faster, or you could use an all purpose prop. Similar to using racing slicks, all seasons, all-terrains, or mud terrains for different driving conditions.

I have 2 different pitch props...an 11 and a 13.
Most the time I fish by myself so the 13 is on.
The 11 is only used if I load the boat up or wreck the 13.

I just looked at your mod and saw that you were going 10-13mph at WOT. Is that still the case after the engine work? That seems really slow for an 18hp on a 14' boat. My 16' goes that fast with a single 9.9hp even after I added a bunch of plywood. Wonder if there's a way to check the RPMs. If the engine is loaded up or slow to plane you may be over-propped. If it has lots of power on takeoff and sounds wide-open at 13mph, you may be under-propped. Do you think the hub was bad when you checked speed? I'd vote for an all-around prop that will still plane with your normal load + some. My big boat has a stainless 15p but could handle a 16p. I can over-rev it, but I never have a lack of power no matter how much weight I have on board. It will run about 30 at 5500, but I keep it at about 4500 to save gas (26mph). I started with a 19p which was on the engine on a previous boat. It barely planed and would not run any faster than 4500 and 30mph with a light load. It wouldn't plane at all with 3 guys and camping gear. If I did mostly long distance river running, I'd probably try a 16p or 17p and keep the 15p for if I ever loaded it down for camping or pulled a tube or something. Of course, I suspect the investment in multiple props for the 18hp is not what it is for my 115, so you might can afford to keep a few around for different situations.

I had 2 props for my boat, but never thought to carry one as a spare. I had a 19p aluminum and 13p stainless (on my 50hp.) The 13p is a little too "low geared" for my taste, so I typically ran the 19p for better top end speed. I originally bought the 13p when I thought the prop was my problems getting up on plane. (It turned out to be a carb issue.) I wished I had bought a 15p or 16p. But, now I have a reason to get new one.

As luck would have it, the aluminum prop broke while I was out the other day. I was able to use my trolling motor to get back in (1 hour trip.) So, I plan on getting a new prop for my main one (15-19p?) and keep a spare prop and wrench to keep in the boat. I might use the 13p as the spare or sell it is a really nice prop. If I sell it, I would get a used prop as a spare. (I just need something that would get me home! It doesn't need to be nice.)

So if you are reading this and don't have a spare prop in your boat....get one!!

KRS62

I Spun the hub on my old boat so I never leave the ramp without a spare.
I am waiting for a new fury prop to come in now it is a 25p
they say it should add 2 to 3 mph to my top end so I should be able to break the 75mph mark..

My buddy's 14" john boat (no decks) with an 18hp will get around 18-20mph if I remember correctly. It moves really good. Your speed sounds a little low.

KRS

I did pick up a couple mph with the newer prop, but nothing like where I should be. This winter I plan on figuring out whats wrong with the engine.

The old prop is 9.5p and the newer is 10p.

What kind of pitch could I use on my old 18hp?
Thinking the top rpm is 4500.